Steam Infused Roasting
Upside-Down Mac & Cheese
A macaroni and cheese version of spaghetti pie, this recipe features cheese-sauced pasta baked in a Cheddar bread crumb crust. Everything is cooked in the same pot for easy cleanup.
PREP: 15 minutes • COOK: 20 minutes • SERVINGS: 8
4 cups water
1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
¾ cup butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups whole milk
6¾ cups shredded extra-sharp
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano or
Salt and ground black pepper
1½ cups bread crumbs
- Pour water into pot. Set to STOVETOP HIGH. Heat uncovered to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Cook uncovered 9 minutes or until macaroni is just tender, stirring occasionally. Remove macaroni from pot and drain well in colander, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
- Add ½ cup butter to pot. Set to STOVETOP MED and heat until butter is melted. Stir in flour. Cook uncovered 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk and heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook uncovered 3 minutes, or until mixture is thickened and smooth, stirring occasionally. Stir in 6 cups Cheddar cheese, ¼ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, salt, and pepper until cheeses are melted, stirring occasionally. Turn off pot.
- Stir cheese mixture, macaroni, and reserved cooking water in large bowl. Wipe pot clean.
- Melt remaining ¼ cup butter. Stir melted butter, bread crumbs, ¾ cup Cheddar cheese, and ¼ cup Pecorino Romano in bowl.
- Spray pot with cooking spray. Press bread crumb mixture onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of pot. Pour in macaroni mixture. Set OVEN to 350°F for 20 minutes, checking after 15 minutes. Cook until golden brown on bottom and sides and invert onto plate.
Serve with sliced fresh tomato salad.